Friday, December 17, 2010

Making a List and Crossing Things OFF

While everyone is getting ramped up for Judy's UFO challenge for 2011, I am still trying desperately to finish off a few more from Nancy's UFO challenge for 2010.  Double Delight has been in progress for quite a while.  It was one of Bonnie Hunter's mystery quilts and  I was so happy with the way it turned out that I didn't want to do anything to mess it up along the way. 
I finally decided to take a deep breath and jump in.  Continuous curves grace each of the yellow and green square in a square units and a very odd feather flower looking thing is in the double nine patches. 
I attempted some feathers with blue variegated thread in the borders. I'll just call that a learning experience. I need to do a little reading on the best way to do borders on a frame. I ended up quilting the top and then working my way back down one side, across the bottom and up the other side. I'm not sure if that was quicker than taking the quilt off and turning it, but it's done now, so I'll think about it some more later.
For now, I've added a binding that matches the gold inner border and I'll sit to sew it down when it gets calm.  I'm not sure whether calm is going to happen anytime soon.  The kids are now officially on winter break so we'll all be bouncing about the house together for the next couple of weeks.  

4 comments:

Cornfield Quilter said...

I think the Double Delight Quilt is one of my all time favorites! My colors are similar to yours, I just love it! I have to get busy with the latest clue on her newest mystery, it will take me forever!! Happy Holidays if I don't talk to you again before. :D

Andra Gayle said...

Makes me want to dig my double delight out of the closet! It will have to wait until I get my sister's Christmas present quilted though...

Candace said...

It's gorgeous and the quilting looks beautiful. Such a pretty pattern.

Darling Jill Quilts said...

As you can see, I am a little behind on commenting! lol

When I do separate borders on my frame, I do the top border(s), quilt the center of the quilt and then quilt the bottom borders. Then, I turn the frame and quilt 1 side and then the other. It definitely helps being about to do the borders in a continuous line rather than having to stop every so often to advance the quilt.

This one looks awesome!!